Monday, June 28, 2010

Homemade Freezer Pie Crusts






















Last night, I made some pie crusts to store in the freezer. We are getting ready for some visitors,
so I am trying to make preparations ahead of time. I have found that it is super easy to make pie crust and store them in the freezer. You can store them in the freezer for up to 10 months.
Freezer Pie Crust
12 c. flour
4 teaspoons salt
1 lb. vegetable shortening
1 1/4 c. water

Mix together flour and shortening with a pastry blender. It should be the consistency of cornmeal. Then, measure 2 cups and add 4 tablespoons of water. Mold into a ball.
Cut seven 12 inch pieces of aluminum foil and seven 12 inch pieces of saran wrap. Place a ball of crust in saran wrap and wrap tightly. Then, place it in foil and wrap tightly to seal. Repeat for each ball. Write the date and place in freezer.


To use just unthaw.


This makes holiday meals easy! and cheap!

I think I'll use some of my freezer pie crust to make pies with my frozen berries.
For more great Menu Plan Monday recipes and a great freezer cooking book giveaway click here.
-Robin








1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! My family loves to make pie, but pie crust is definitely not one of my favorite things to make. Making a bunch and freezing them would be perfect!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete