Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Ability To Stay Calm

I'll admit it. I didn't always possess this ability. Things like I have pictured here would have, at one point in my life, made me pretty angry. Now, it made me laugh.

A recent order of children's art supplies arrived at my home. I wasn't able to open it until late in the evening. A smaller box was inside the larger one and I lifted it out and placed it on my cream colored carpet. THIS is what I saw below it. Yes, it was on the box I put on the floor. Yes, it was now on my carpet. Yes, I laughed out loud.

I am happy that I have been able to teach my children that we can't always control the situation we find ourselves in, but we CAN control our reaction. Getting angry wasn't going to do any good. It wouldn't lift the red stain from my floor or repair the damaged product in the box. It would only make things worse for me and set a bad example for my kids.

I am grateful that I have the proper perspective in most situations now. This Gratituesday, I hope that you are able to laugh, no matter what life brings you.

-Julie

1 comment:

  1. That is great that you can laugh about it. I am trying to be more patient myself. Sometimes like you said, it can be hard. But it is a wonderful thing to teach your kids. Life is full of surprises.

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete