Monday, June 8, 2009

Navy Beans

As a little girl, I remember my great aunt saying, “I’m going to throw on a pot of beans.” We had beans frequently and thought they were great. My mom used to make beans and a fresh pan of cornbread. Sometimes, we would eat beans with a tomato and mayonnaise sandwich. Yum!

Now married with kids, I am cooking lots of the same healthy dishes that my mother made. Beans are good for you with lots of fiber and protein and they are cheap. The other day, I bought a bag of dried navy beans for one dollar. We added some ham, a medium onion, and a little salt and pepper. The whole pot cost around $1.50 and we had leftovers!

Beans are easy to make, just use the directions on the bag for soaking and cooking. Our kids love beans and they are good for you. Navy beans are gluten-free.


I encourage you to “throw on a pot of beans” every once in a while.

This post is linked to Menu Plan Monday.

-Robin

2 comments:

  1. We grew up eating Navy Beans - and we all loved them! I think they're great - and since we're expecting rain all week - I'll have to put a kettle on!

    Debbie
    http://familyfoodies.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids LOVE pinto beans and cornbread! Funny, I hated it as a child, but I like it now. It's just good stuff!

    ReplyDelete