Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Teaching Your Children At Home

As a trained teacher, I definitely value education. I send my children to public school, but I also consider myself to be a homeschooler. I have a schedule that I follow with them to fill in gaps that I see in their school's curriculum, and I work ahead with them and supplement in areas that interest them.

In future posts, I'll discuss in more detail things that have worked well for us and some of my favorite books and projects. We touch on all areas with our homeschooling and I think it has been such a benefit to my children and myself. My children actually look forward to our work together and it has led to some of our best memories and our favorite times together. Working on academics with your children can be so much fun!

I have already seen the benefits in my daughter's school career as she has excelled academically. I am also seeing those seeds take root in my son and know that he will do even better as we continue to build more on his core skills.

If there are any specific areas you would like to hear about, please let me know in the comments. I am looking forward to sharing our journey with you on future WFMW posts.

-Julie

6 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading more of your posts along this line! My girls go to a Christian school, but, as a former teacher myself, I also try to round out their learning and find supplemental material for areas in which they show interest.

    Both are avid readers and my older daughter is quite into history and historical facts at the moment. My younger daughter is a bit more artistic (an area in which I'm weak). I'm hoping to spend our summer expanding on those interests and hopefully developing new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my former life, I was a teacher. Having been an the education world, I know how important it is to bridge the gap between home and school. I also set up small projects for my oldest daughter and I to work on together. The learning never stops once you are at home! But these days, schools seem to have taken the fun out of learning with all the pressure on testing. So, I feel my role as a "homeschooler" is to show how learn can be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a teacher, but I sure feel like one sometimes. I have so much respect for it. I write about how life lessons help guide my children in their growth. See what you think. www.ScribbleInkcafe.com
    That's the part of teaching I can really connect with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lokk forward to your future posts on this topic. We too teach at home as well as public school. I consider us to be co-schoolers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post! It is such a good reminder that parents can (and should) take responsiblity for their kids education. I certainly don't expect my kids to learn everything about their faith at church. The same should be true about education. Thank you for making me think.

    It is Food Allergy Awareness Week. Read my latest allergy post: Works-for-Me Wednesday: Medicine Bag

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi. I was just surfing around some blogs, and I came across yours. It’s pretty nifty and I’m really enjoying my stay here. I’ve bookmarked your site for daily visits, and I hope you’ll visit me. I’d love to have you. :) Have a great day and I’ll see you around the blogosphere. :)

    ReplyDelete