Monday, August 16, 2010

Homemade Character Birthday Cake






My husband and I have always made our children homemade cakes for their birthdays. As they get older, we are finding that it is becoming increasingly challenging. When our middle child turned 2, we surprised her with a Swiper the Fox cake. Needless to say, she was thrilled. She went around saying, "Swiper no Swiping" and "oh, man." She had lots of fun!

Here is how we did it:

My husband drew a sketch of Swiper from one of our Dora books. Then, we cut the cake and added the icing.


Sour Cream Cake
1 c. butter softened
2 c. sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 pint sour cream
3 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
Pre- heat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla together. Then, add sour cream to mixture. In a separate bowl, mix together baking powder, flour, and baking soda. Add the dry mixure to the wet mixture and beat until smooth. Pour mixture into 2 nine inch round pans or one sheet cake pan that have been greased and floured. Bake on 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.



Birthday Icing
1 lb confectioners sugar or 3 3/4 cups
3/4 c. crisco
1/4 c. cream or liquid
1/2 tsp flavor (vanilla)

Beat until smooth.
*We usually double the recipe*

Making your child's birthday cake is fun. It doesn't have to look perfect. They will think it is special just because you made it especially for them.
For more great frugal recipes, go to $5 Dinners!

-Robin

4 comments:

  1. Good job, I could tell it was swiper the fox before it was frosted. I usually do a homemade cake as well. Last Nov I was running short on time so I bought my DD's cake and when I brought it out you could see the dissapointment on her face. She told me later that night, that she loved my homemade cakes because they were tastier than anything I could buy, and because it meant she was important enough to take the time to make a cake. Needless to say she will never ever have another store bought cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow what a cute cake love all the colors and how it came together for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That ended up looking so cute! The cake recipe looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete