Monday, October 5, 2009

Whole Wheat Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

We have a new love in our house. These little gems disappeared faster than anything I've ever baked before. I completely altered this recipe on my own, so I was very impressed with my culinary skills! I thought I would share our new favorite treat for Menu Plan Monday.







Whole Wheat Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

3/4 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. whole wheat pancake mix
(you can substitute 3/4 c. whole wheat flour plus 1 tsp baking soda)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 large, ripe bananas
1/4 c white sugar
1 egg
1/3 c natural applesauce
Optional: 1/2 c chocolate chips and/or 1/2 c old-fashioned oats

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a muffin pan with nonstick spray. Sift together dry ingredients, set aside. Combine bananas, sugar, egg and applesauce in a large bowl. Mix in dry ingredients, leaving batter slightly lumpy. Stir in chocolate chips and/or oats. Spoon into muffin pan. Bake mini muffins for 10 to 15 minutes, large muffins for 20 to 25 minutes. Muffins will spring back when lightly touched when done.




We are partial to these with chocolate chips and love them with and without the addition of the oats. They are sweet and very moist. I only had whole wheat pancake mix on hand, so that is what I used. If you're more prepared and have the flour, be sure to add some baking soda (it is already incorporated into the pancake mix). Oil or butter can be substituted for the applesauce, but I always make that change when I'm baking. I am pleased that these are relatively healthy and they make a wonderful lunch box treat for the kids, too.

I hope that you enjoy them as much as we have!

-Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment