Thursday, July 2, 2009

Home-Grown Organic Tomatoes

My family loves tomatoes. A few years ago, I picked up a tomato plant at Costco and tested to see if I had a green thumb. My husband doubted that I would get my money back in tomatoes, but I was hopeful to prove him wrong. I had my own doubts about my green thumb, but soon my tomato plant started growing. It kept growing and growing until I had to get a bigger pot and tie it up to our fence. Soon, we had many tomatoes, so many that I began giving them away to neighbors and trading them for other vegetables. At the time, we didn’t know our neighbors very well, so this was a great way to get to know everyone.

I love home-grown tomatoes. There is nothing like picking a warm tomato off the vine and eating it. When I was a little girl, my mom used to have a garden, and we had many tomato plants. She used to can tomatoes to make soup and tomato dumplings the next winter. Growing tomatoes is easy. Just keep the plant watered, trim the branches that do not have a bloom, and tie the tomato plant up when it gets so big it starts to fall over.

The best thing about growing your own tomatoes is that you know the tomatoes really are organic. Organic tomatoes are expensive in the store but easy to grow. We definitely got our money back and saved a lot of money too. We moved this year, so we were not able to have a tomato plant. But, I am looking forward to trying my green thumb out again next year.

-Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment